I was struggling with the purl rows of the design, and wondering whether I would be able to complete it to a reasonable standard. Well, it took a while, but I'm pleased to say that I have now finished this project. Sadly I don't have access to a cute toddler to model it, but here it is laid on the carpet instead:
It looks a bit of a funny shape without a child inside it because it is a jacket design, rather than a cardigan. You can see the knitted darts on the fronts, above the hearts, and there are matching ones on the back. I will be blocking it under a damp cloth before it goes into my Loving Hands box to be donated to a suitable charity.
The row of hearts took for ever, with me trying every which way of holding the yarn. At least I didn't pull the trailing yarn too tight. In September I am going to a Knit for Peace knitting class in London with my niece to learn how to do this technique properly. I can't wait!
This was knitted with 2 strands of 3 ply held together to make double knit, on size 4.00 needles. When I use this yarn again, I think I will drop at least one needle size to get a tighter fabric.