I had bookmarked a pattern for an aran weight hoodie from the Tricksy Knitter website, because I liked the jagged edge to the stripe. The pattern is knitted all in one from the neck down, and no-sew patterns are my favourite, particularly when I am knitting small sizes. I chose two substantial part-balls from my Aran stash, and started to knit. The main ball was a very warm oatmeal yarn, and I picked a bluey-green to put in the contrast stripe as in the pattern. However, as I got on with the cardigan, I realised that I had overestimated the amount of oatmeal yarn that I had. An extra green stripe in the body and contrasting ribs still did not leave me enough to knit the hood in the main colour. I thought about knitting the hood in the contrast, but decided that it wouldn't look right. So I went for a contrast collar instead. Using an old pattern of my mum's to get an idea of the increases that would be needed to let it lie properly, I knitted a 2x2 rib collar.
Thankfully, the end result looks as though it was intended to be that way! The cardigan should fit a 3 year old, and will be going into the box I'm preparing for Knit for Peace.